Re: PAM support in Samba

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl said:
> I like the idea of PAM a lot: moving all authentication-related code
> into libraries. It makes it easier for a system administrator to
> implement an authentication policy. Providing PAM support can be a
> major operation, and I admit I haven't looked into the technical
> issues yet. Given that Red Hat has been PAMified for some time now, I
> think that PAM is mature enough. If we move to PAM, this might be an
> opportunity for integrating PAM support upstream (I don't have the
> impression that Red Hat worked on this).

Probably they haven't tried to integrate PAM support upstream, but, as far as
I know, they have made available the necessary patches to PAMify all the
autentication aware utilities in their distribution.   So, for us, the whole
task may be to grab the patches from RedHat and apply them to our own packages
(isn't free software great?).

I think PAM is a very Good Thing (TM), and since the PAMifying effort may not
be so big (thanks to the previous work by RedHat) it may be a good idea to
require PAM support as a part of our policy.

Regards,

M. S.