Re: Use of `Severity: grave'

ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson) writes:

> I've just changed the severities of about half a dozen outstanding
> `grave' bug reports to `normal'.  I've also reprioritised two `grave'
> bugs as `critical' because they were security holes.
>
> Please do not use `Severity: grave' to convey your annoyance at the
> bug, or to indicate now bad it was for you personally.

Maybe we need a 'hold-release' severity for minor packaging bugs that
nevertheless shouldn't go into a release.  This seems essential to
me.

For example, a broken dependency or missing copyright might not
mean the package is severely broken - but we shouldn't be releasing
stuff like that -- especially when it can be easily fixed before a
release is made by the QA team making some non-maintainer releases.

Cheers,

 - Jim