Re: What about a user-contrib directory?

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> Actually, I think people should go through a little pain-in-the-butt
> to contribute, just as a test that they care enough.

Sorry, i'd care to contribute to a stable Debian system but i still
don't see any possibility.  If i'd want to contribute my packages i'd
have to upgrade to a libc6 based system which is no option at all
since i'm dependent upon a more or less hasslefree and reliably
working setup without experimental character.

I personally do care and that's why i've have made some packages
available at "ftp://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/unofficial/";.
These packages are targeted towards a stable and working libc5 based
Debian-1.3.1 system.  That's what i care for!

> We don't want packages from people who abandon them on the curbside
> like an unwanted pet.

Actually this was yet another reason for me to propose a user-contrib
directory.  There are unfortunately quite some *official* packages
whose maintainers seem to "abandon them on the curbside like an
unwanted pet" although this is maybe a bit too harsh an expression of
judgement without knowing these people's background for their
stagnating packaging work.  Without wanting to hurt anybody's feelings
this seems to be valid for example in regard of the "Midnight
Commander" package and until very recently for the "gv" package which
have been outdated since *very* long and even in 'unstable'.  I wanted
that users could eventually help out themselves by providing interim
versions for their 'stable' system until an official versions becomes
finally available.
                       Thanks for your comments, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de