Re: RPM (Was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> I _love_ dpkg, dselect, the packaging system, the .deb packages and
> the Debian project. That's why I became a developer in the first place.

You're confusing a few things here. Deity will still use standard .deb
files, and it doesn't involve doing away with .deb files, dpkg, or dselect.
It is designed as another program that does what dselect does, but there are
certianly enough people who like dselect that dselect will be kept.

> I'll continue reading this thread and I really _hope_ the general
> consensus is that dpkg/dselect is Debian.

Debian is dpkg and .deb files and the whole system of developers. No one is
planning on doing away with that[1]. Deity is just an alternative dselect-like
interface.

--
see shy jo

[1] Unless you're going to look back at the "Can I interest anyone in RPM?"