Re: Proposal for a Debian Unstable FAQ

mso@jimpick.com (alternate)  wrote on 19.10.97 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.971019000752.271A-100000@kruto.townhouse>:

> ** EXT2 PARTITIONS > 2GB: Don't make an ext2 partition greater than 2GB.
> A bug in the kernel code will cause data corruption.

I remember a warning about fsck. I don't think there's something in the
kernel. Anyway, I've been running a 3.5 GB ext2 root(!) partition for a
long time now, and nothing has been trashed that I have noticed.

> ** DNS errors: Some people have reported problems with DNS after
> installing (what?).  The symptom is that network commands will do a DNS
> lookup even when given a literal IP number.  Changing the "networks:"

Wrong label here. It's not DNS that is broken, it's software that
shouldn't bother DNS.

I'm pretty sure it's a glibc bug; on the kernel list, Ulrich Drepper (Mr.
glibc) claimed it's a bug that's fixed in the newest glibc version:

> If ping uses gethostbyname this problem was corrected some time ago.
> I'll make a description available as soon as the GNU machines are
> working again reliable.  Or you use the RedHat release based on glibc
> which already contains the patch.

MfG Kai