actually...

Now that I think about it, you wouldn't want to have a
pre-installation script pretend that it's installed,
in case it dies partway through.  You do want to have
dpkg work inside the script, however.  This sounds more
like killing off the parent dpkg and dselect (after
prompting user) before proceeding with script.  Plus
some kind of "I'm complete to version ###" flag, out in
the file system.

--
Raul