Re: Debian libc5 to libc6 Mini-HOWTO (regular posting, updated)

"Scott K. Ellis" <storm@gate.net> writes:
> On 18 Oct 1997, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Scott Ellis <storm@gate.net> writes:
> > >   o  ncurses3.0_1.9.9e-2
> > >
> > >   o  ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3
> >
> > What is the difference between these two?  Is there really a good idea
> > to keep what appears to be an old version around?  And why are there
> > two version numbers (3.4 and 1.9.9g)?
>
> ncurses3.0 is the version of ncurses linked with libc5, ncurses 3.4 is
> linked with libc6.  So you need both of them around as long as you have
> both libc5 and libc6 compiled programs that use it.  I'm not certain as to
> the exact logic for the version numbering however.

Well, 3.0/3.4 is the `soname' (or is it `soversion'??) of ncurses.
1.9.9[eg] is the distribution version number (the version on the source
tar file as in ncurses-1.9.9g.tar.gz).  Usually the soname and source
version are the same, or somewhat related.

Another example of a lib having a different soname from its version
number is libc: It's version number is 2.0.5c, but it's soname is 6.

- Hari