Re: What about a user-contrib directory?

On Fri, Oct 17, 1997 at 02:42:23PM -0700, David Welton wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
>
> > I think we need to consider wheter we actually need to make it
> > easier to upload/create packages. As far as I know, Debian is
> > at this moment by far the biggest distribution, with the most
> > packages. If it really were the case that there are many
> > pieces of software left undebianised, that desperatly need
> > debianisation, then, yes maybe we should be thinking
> > about making it easier to upload .deb's.
>
> I count around 960 in the contrib section of redhat's site.  Plus around
> 500 of their own.  So.. they may have a few more at this point, if you
> count everything.  I bet our quality is still much higher, and I think for
> many people, the security issue is also very important.
>
> I think our model has a lot of advantages, but I'm just concerned about
> how it will scale.  I mean, theoretically, our goal (or at least dream),
> as Linux proponents, and as developers of a specific distribution, should
> be to see linux take a big share of the market.  Even with a relatively
> small share of the market, there might be many thousands of packages..
>
> Do you think our way of doing things can scale like that?  I'm not saying
> yes or no, I'd just like to hear others' ideas:-)

I think that this model can scale well: think to the linux kernel: it scaled
very well. We can scale much better that the linux kernel, I think, because
only a few fundamental packages must be tightly integrated. Sure a Debian
with 10000 packages will must have a different organization than the actual
one, but this will be sufficient.

Francesco
f.tapparo@vi.nettuno.it