Re: no substvars for ssh 1.20

Stephen Zander <srz@mckesson.com> writes:

> While locally building ssh (to go with libc6) on my laptop, I've discovered
> that substvars is not being created.  The only references to it in
> debian/rules require it to pre-exist, so my question is.... what creates it?

The substvars file is used by dpkg-gencontrol to do variable
substition.  dpkg-shlibdeps is the only script which edits it.

Some more complicated packages (usually ones with shared libs)
sometimes need to determine things for the control file dynamically,
and they'll usually do that in the rules file, and let dpkg-gencontrol
insert the right entries in the control file.

Guy