Re: nis problem?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Lukas Nellen wrote:

> I use a hacked version of the adduser script. As the last line in the
> subroutine `syscall', put
> 	system("cd /var/yp; make")
> to regenerate the NIS maps after all changes to the password file. This way,
> you rebuild the NIS maps a bit too often, but it works...

New problem with that approach (but it looks better, at least):

adduser bingo
Adding user bingo...
Adding new user bingo (1002) with group users.
NIS Map update started on Thu Oct  9 09:24:32 EDT 1997
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/jdweb.com'
Updating passwd.byname...
Updating passwd.byuid...
Updating netid.byname...
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/jdweb.com'
NIS Map update completed.
Creating home directory /home/bingo.
Copying files from /etc/skel
Changing YP password for bingo on epage.
Please enter old password:
Changing YP password for bingo on epage.
Please enter new password:
Please retype new password:
Error while changing YP password.

The YP password has not been changed on epage.
adduser: `passwd bingo' returned error code 256.  Aborting.
Cleaning up.
Removing directory `/home/bingo'
Removing user `bingo'.

I'm guessing that the old YP password is <null>.  Any suggestions from the
peanut gallery?

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590