Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

Hi,

Bruce> From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>
>> All right. Here is my entry for the licence, with your
>> modifications included.

Bruce> The problem is that you are trying to satisfy two mutually
Bruce> exclusive groups.

	Actually, no.

Bruce> Some want strict control over the information for fear their
Bruce> privacy or their name might be damaged. Others can live with
Bruce> less control and are offended by unusual licenses. Please
Bruce> decide which group you should satisfy.

	The only problems I've had are with the group of people who
 are offended by unusual licenses; and the problem seems to be my
 disinclination to support that group.

Bruce> I suggest that you allow people who have severe concerns about
Bruce> their privacy, or concerns about the use of their information,
Bruce> to opt out of the program and not have their data distributed
Bruce> at all.

	I am being dense here, but does that mean you are talking
 about two options: people may choose to keep the data private, or it
 may be made public with no restrictions about mutability?

Bruce> I suggest the other group be guaranteed control over
Bruce> the content of the information, but not control over the
Bruce> distribution of that information.

	I think the intent always has been that the individuals have
 control over the contents of the information (with the collator
 making mostly formatting changes); and the data be distributed by
 SPI.

	manoj
--
 An A is easily obtained if a student calls his instructor
 "Professor." Johnston