Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

Hi,
>>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

Dale> For those who don't agree with what has been said so far, I
Dale> would say that, in any case, "The material submitted by me to
Dale> the 'Maintainer Database Project' is copyright 1997 by Dale
Dale> Scheetz". If I checked the GPL option on the form (and I
Dale> honestly don't remember which I chose), then it was I who
Dale> declared how the material was to be licensed.

	Right. As I mentioned earlier, any data coming with the GPL
 box is now tainted and should be discarded. *Sigh*. Well, Fred Brooks
 did say "Plan to throw one away.  You will anyway."

Dale> While I see no reason for downstream users to "modify" the data
Dale> in this collection, I see no reason to restrict it, beyond
Dale> requiring original source integrity.

	However, your opinion is not universally shared. And therein
 lies the rub.

	The GPL requires the source of the data to be freely
 distributed (in the form used for modification), so any GPL'd data
 can't be in the same database as anything from people who require
 more privacy.

Dale> In any case, the database will probably be bifurcated between
Dale> those who are willing to have "public" listings and those who
Dale> want more privacy. I don't really see how the "private" section
Dale> of the database can ever be distributed.

	You can't do them in the same database. There are a set of
 people who have no objection to the information being disseminated as
 long as it is not legally modifiable. With the proper locence, that
 could be distributed in non-free.

	manoj
--
 You are going to have a new love affair.