Re: fakeroot a solution for multi-architecture building?

Excellent idea!

I'm willing to work on master's end of the process.  I think a pull
process is easier than a push process.

1. There would be directories for each architecture - COMPILE/{i386,m68k,..}.
   dinstall will drop the source packages into the appropriate place,
   using hard links between archs to save space.  It will also touch a
   foo_vers.Ready file for each source's architecture signifying that the
   source is ready to be compiled.

2. Lots of machines all over the globe check the appropriate COMPILE/arch
   whenever they wish.  If they see something, they unlink the appropriate
   Ready file and download the source.  The Ready file makes sure that
   the compile machines don't grab the source before dinstall has copied it
   and that only one compile machine grabs the source.

3. The rest proceeds as Christoph suggested -

> 4. Those machines automatically try to build the package for the new
>    architecture.
>
> 5. On success automatic upload to master
>
> 6. On failure an automated bug report is filed against the package with
>    the output of the failed build.

master would have a small list of source packages for which this
scheme would work.  We would gradually expand this list.

I can implement the master end.  Somebody else can write the script
which runs on other machines.  Anybody that has free cycles can then
run it, only at night, or with a high nice value, or whatever.

I think there would have to be some ack from the compile machine back
to master - saying that the source has been processed either with an
upload or with a bug.  If that ack doesn't come back within some time,
master will put the source back into the appropriate COMPILE/arch
directory.

Guy