Re: Creation of typical installations...

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, David Engel wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 1997 at 09:27:59AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I would suggest that the best way to do this is with the status file.
> > Create several status files, with the correct packages selected for
> > installation, for each of the "installation catagories". During the
> > installation process, allow the installer to select one. Copy the
> > appropriate status file to /target/... . On the reboot, the installation
>
> One shortcoming of this approach is that it makes allowing overlapping
> groups much more difficult.  We would have to a different status file
> for every possible combination of groups.

yes.  that's why i think it's better to have a wrapper around 'dpkg
--set-selections'.

> Another shortcoming is that after initial installation, users would
> still have to manually keep their systems up to date.  If the group
> info is in the control file for each package, dselect/deity could
> automatically select new packages that are added to a group.

i don't see that as a problem - i see this 'front-end hack' as being just a
tool to speed up the first time install.  if it's any more than that then
we'll be tempted to add feature after feature until it's a complete
replacement for dselect.

so, use the quick install method for the first install, and dselect (or
deity when it arrives) for subsequent updates.

the biggest problem i see with this scheme is that the selection sets
would have to be updated manually for every new release. this may not be
a problem if deity is around for the next release, or if we can come up
with some method of automating the set production before then (as you
suggested, adding an extra control field would help...but i think that
that can be done gradually in time for the next release after 2.0).

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract