Re: questions

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions in regard to localization packages. Suppose I
> want to make a package that supplies everything needed to add cyrillic
> support to X ; including fonts, mapping tables, modifying XF86Config. Is
> there some kind of policy which I should follow? For example, there already
> is a package with cyrillic fonts for X - should I submit the other fonts I
> have to be included there and depend on that package, or make a monolithic
> package that does it all?

We like to be as modular as possible, so if possible don't create a package
that supplies files other packages already contain.

> Also, would there be a place for purely
> 'configuration' packages? Like everything you need to use cyrillic on the
> console is already included in the kernel and kbd packages, but you need to
> know which combination of what to run where and in which order

Wouldn't that mean the package mostly consists of documentation?
Or do you mean you'd like your package to add a few commands to
the boot sequence (/etc/init.d, /etc/rc*.d/*), and that's all?

For me personal, I would actually like to know how to create Cyrilic fonts
(mostly in TeX and possibly Emacs, though[1]), but any package that made
Cyrilic fonts the default on my computer I'd surely remove (if the Cyricil
fonst didn't make my computer completely unusable, that is).

So, for me a package that contains a few scripts that I should run
(maybe as root) to make my computer temporary cyrilic-enabled would
be usefull, and I would certainly install it (though maybe not use
it all that often).

Oh, and I'm not sure how you should handle XF86Config. Probably we'll need
some general way for that (if we don't have that already, but I don't
think so).

> (by the way,
> there's more than one variant of doing it, and it also requires some fixes to
> terminfo/termcap (pseudographics in koi8 is placed differently)). Or creating
> such a package would be too much catering to the simple user? :)

Maybe it would be. But I appreciate everything you do to make life
more simple for me!

Oh, and it seems to me that the problems you are trying to solve will
be simmilar to hebrew/arab/greek/whatever languages.

Footnote [1] After a question about this on a Dutch TeX users group, I
             now know how to get a few Russian words in TeX. So, I don't
	     really need that any more. But a better TeX support than
	     what I've got now would be appreciated.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj