Re: alpha machine for debian?

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> any suggestions on what sort of machine to get?  anything that i
> should avoid?

My best suggestion would be to check the Alpha FAQ at (I think):

www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/

Anything that'll run with RedHat should run with Debian, though
someone might have to compile a custom boot disk for you.  Try to
stick with something that is MILO compatible---which the FAQ should
tell you.

> advice would be appreciated...i've never had much to do with alpha
> boxes before.

Unfortunately, most of the Debian/Alpha people don't have a whole lot
to do with anything other than their particular box...

> ps: what's the current status with debian alpha?  can it install
> itself yet, or do i need redhat installed first?

Yes, it can install itself, so you need not have RedHat.  I can't
speak from experience, unfortunately, as I put my system up before we
had boot disks.

debian-alpha has people with much more experience with installation
than I.

Mike.