Creation of typical installations...

I'd like to create a system where upon installation the user will be
presented with the option of, immediately after installing the base option,
of installing three typical Debian installations...

Large
Medium
Small

(okay, so the names need some work...)

They would be sets of each other.  Large would contain medium which would
contain small.  Each would be a collection of standard Debian packages.
I'd expect the sizes would be...

Large about 550-600 megabytes
Medium about 300-350 megabytes
Small about 100-150 megabytes

That way large could fit neatly onto a CD as a live file system.  S.u.S.E.
and Red Hat both have live file systems, and I find them very useful...(of
course I use Linux differently from most people...)

I would imagine that if we could implement this most people (80% say) would
choose this to use this feature rather than dselecting packages...then once
they are comfortable with their working, feature rich Debian system they can
start using dselect to pick exactly which packages they want.

One thing that this would give the Debian system is more rebliability...my
recent experience with installing around 1000 packages (approximately every
package out there that didn't conflict...) is that the packages didn't work
together as smoothly as I would like, nor as smoothly as when picking for
example a full installation under Red Hat.  We can test the new exact
combination of packages thoroughly, and this testing will have ripple
effects through the rest of Debian.

So, technically this is an easy thing to do...except for the interactivity
of package installation.  It seems like there has been an ongoing debate (as
far as I can tell unresolved) about how/when packages should ask questions
during installation.  Perhaps we could add a command line option to dpkg
that will signal the package should not ask any questions prior to
installation but just make best guess judgements.  That gives the best of
both worlds...

What does everyone think?

Thanks
Sam

--
VA Research Linux Workstations |  VA Research Is Hiring...
http://www.varesearch.com      |  Tech support for Linux/Windows 95/NT