Re: Dpkg-shlibdeps and libc5/6

> From: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
>
> >It's fakeroot which breaks the thing.
> >Transcript:
> [...]
> >
> >Gasp. I either have to encode unset LD_PRELOAD in debian/rules or
> >revert to the ol'su method ! (*or* as an exotic method, I could chmod
> >u+sx my library, making it discard the LD_ environment variables... ???
> >nah...)
>
> FWIW, there's another, far simpler way (although it's quite pervasive
> in the design of debian/rules); it's the way I've built all the
> packages I've done since joining Debian (only a couple of months ago,
> but I think I have something...)

[description of puting the "dpkg-shlibdeps" effectively in the "build"
 target of debian/rules]

Personally, I think this is also _cleaner_: the dpkg-shlibdeps
shouldn't run as root at all, and it is doing things that belong
(in my view) more to the "build" part than to the "binary" part:
extracting information from the binary, and searching for the libraries
it uses, all sounds like somethign one does while building the stuff,
not while creating the binary.

But putting that appart, it is unrealistic to ask people to change
their debian/rules file thouroughly, for little gain.

As I think I've mentioned, the next release of fakeroot (in a couple
of hours now) will not have this problem (it will supply a libc5 and
a libc6 libfakeroot library, and the communication between the daemon
("fakeroot") and the library (the client programmes run by fakeroot)
has been compleately revamped because of this).

> Just my tuppence-ha'penny.

That's 2.5 penny, right? How many shillings is that? (Old money).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj