Re: building packages : dependencies and shlibs

On Mon 22 Sep 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
> Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
>
> > how can i use %${shlibs:Depends} for several packeges ?
> > it only works for the first binary package of a source package.
> > but if i have a library (that depends on other libraries) and a binary
> > package, i could use such a feature.
>
> You need to give the -p option to dpkg-gencontrol to tell it which
> package to use.  A seperate dpkg-shlibdeps is used for each line.  You
> can look at bash/libreadline sources for an example.  There I've had
> to edit the substvars in debian/rules as I was building a library and
> binaries which depend on it in one source package.

i call debstd, and it should take care of this. but somehow it doesnt
work. but thats not a big problem, i will hard code dependencies and
look later again.

> > what is the easiest way to get the versio number of a package ?
> > my shlibs has to be "libkdecore 0 kdelibs (= ${Source-Version})"
> > but there is no $ expansion in shlibs files, so i have to do this on my
> > own.
>
> You don't need to keep the latest version number in that package.
> Presumably something compiled with 1.1-2, for example, will still work
> with 1.1-1.  Just insert the earliest version that the library is
> backward compatible with.

current kde policy is : if you change the library : recompile everything !
the library changes everyday, and are not compatible.
i will keep the current mechanism till beta one is released,
and then go back to the normal mechanism.

andreas