RPM instead of DEB? [was: Re: Deity project schedule problems]

bruce@debian.org (Bruce Perens) writes:

> I still think we should be using RPM.

Wow!  Why this?  Isn't DEB a very good choice in regard of maintaining
the integrity of the Debian distribution?

I ask this because there has been quite some discussion about the
doubtful merits of RPM packages taken from different distributions in
the German Linux newsgroups.  A major local Linux distribution very
widespread in Germany called "S.u.S.E." has switched to RPM with their
latest release.  Obviously people have serious troubles installing RPM
packages from Redhat on SuSE and vice versa because of small
differences in the packages which are each tailored for a specific
Linux system.  So it looks like in the end it is no real solution
using the same complicated packaging format (like RPM definitely is)
without further standardizations among different distributions.
Therefore i see it as an advantage to stick to Debian's own packaging
format for sake of maintaining a stable integrity of our distribution
of choice.
                                   Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de