Re: debstd-like tool for those who don't want to use debmake

On Mon 22 Sep 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > I must admit I don't know any details about automake so please correct me
> > if I'm totally wrong. It looks like automake is like imake but much more
> > flexible.
>
> I'm not an automake or autoconf expert, but I think it's something as a
> macro expander with a big set of macros predefined.

autorules should not be only a macro expander. think of it as a mix of
macro expander, many default values, a test suite and a mini ki.

> If sometime policy is changed (say we decide to change the upstream
> changlog file name), just ship an updated autorules (perhaps even in
> dpkg-dev), and all the maintainer will have to do is reexecute "autorules
> debian/rules.ar" to update his rules file to the latest policy.

or if you split a package into multiple binary packages : you don't need
to modify rules.ar to reflect this. change your control file and rerun
autorules.

> binary-arch: (checkroot)
> 	joey-install-binaries
> 	joey-install-docs README doc.ps blah.html
>
> * with autorules:
>
> (debian/rules.ar)
> binary-arch:
> AR_INSTALL_BIN
> AR_INSTALL_DOCS (README, doc.ps, blah.html)
>
> (debian/rules generated by the maintainer with "autorules debian/rules.ar")
>
> binary-arch:
> 	make install PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/tmp
> 	install -m 644 -o root -g root README doc.ps blah.html \
> 	    `pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/doc/$(package)/
> 	gzip `pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/doc/$(package)/{README,doc.ps,blah.html}

of course autorules would not gzip blah.html.
but if we change our policy about this : just run the new autorules,
and the new debian/rules file will gzip blah.html .

andreas