Re: kde and files location

Hi,
>>"Manong" == Manong Dibos <jwalther@citytel.net> writes:

Manong> On 20 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> The only difference between the non-free packages an others is
>> whether we put them on the official CD. They are *not* third party
>> software.

Manong> Hmmm.  This is true.  Looking at it from another angle, could
Manong> we not consider non-free packages to be "addons" from the
Manong> vendor themselves? Such as the type of bundling SCO and other
Manong> Unices sometimes do?

	This is sophistry. We, collectively, are Debian. We do not
 write most of the software we offer; we package it. We can't decide
 when we are the distribution and when the software comes from the
 author directly depending on whether we want it to go under /opt.

	We can't be both Debian and non-Debian third parties. The only
 possible solution, IMHO, is to leave /opt alone. Let third
 parties (not Debian) populate that. (Any third party /opt based rpm
 may be used on Debian machines, you know).

Manong> IE, the OS vendor licenses the software and distributes it
Manong> separately? *sigh*.  Oh well.  I guess the time for the /opt
Manong> idea has not yet come.

	Yes, it has come, except *We*, as the Debian project, the OS
 distributor, do not populate it.

	manoj

--
 "(Humanity) is the measure of all things." Protagoras