Re: kde and files location

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> I agree. I think the seperation is easy (from our point of view): Every
> ..deb on our ftp server (no matter if "main" or "non-free" or "contrib")
> comes from us, not from a third party.

Objection your honor!  If that is the case, why dont non-free packages
come on the cdrom?  I would argue that if we cant get them on the cdrom
edition of Debian, then we can logically treat them as "third party"
packages, even though Debian maintainers make them.  Ditto for Contrib.
However, I do agree that usage of /opt should be deprecated... Just not
forbidden.  Perhaps if a package wants to use it it should have  to pass a
review board on debian-devel.

Cheers.

Jonathan Walther