Re: /dev/vcs* perms (was: Re: should fte provide /usr/bin/editor?)

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 02:35:22PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Login does something different: it can optionally put someone who logs in
> in certain groups. In /etc/login.defs I have the following line:

This sounds even better than the Solaris approach. I guess I never noticed
it, because /etc/login.defs is so long. :-|

> This puts everyone who logs in on the console in groups floppy, audio and
> cdrom. Now if only xdm could do the same for everyone who logs in on
> the local console...

IIRC, a goal for Debian 2.0 was to PAM-enable all authentication-related
programs. Could PAM provide something like CONSOLE_GROUPS? I guess this
would be a better solution than to start hacking xdm.

Martin
--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */
/* Student of electrical engineering   WWW: http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_mbuck1/ */