Re: FTP site orginazation (draft 2)

> > > After some discussion, the proposal is now:
> > >
> > > ftp/pub/debian/
> > >     stable -> dists/stable
> > >     frozen -> dists/frozen
> > >     unstable -> dists/unstable
> > >     Debian-1.3 -> dists/stable      (note lack of trailing ".1")
>
> Why do you want to drop the trailing ".1"? The current release is called
> "1.3.1" and this would surely produce unnecessary confusion.

Just after I sent that, I knew I should have explained what I meant.

I was more thinking that for _future_ releases, we wouldn't publish the
last ".n" in the revision.  Bo needs to stay at 1.3.1 because that's how
we've done it so far.

My thought was that hamm would become "Debian-2.0" and the link would
never change.  The release would always be "Debian-2.0" even though
you might find CDs with 2.0.0 or 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 if you bought them
at different times.

> > >     dists/stable -> <dist>  (symlink to current stable distribution)
> > >     dists/frozen -> <dist>  (symlink to current frozen distribution)
> > >     dists/unstable-><dist>  (symlink to current development distribution)
> > >     dists/<dist>/           (actual location of distribution files)
> > >             main/           (main distribution files)
> > >             documents/      (auxillary documentation files [1])
> > >             contrib/        (contributed distribution files)
> > >             non-free/       (non free distribution files)
> > >             non-US/         (non US distribution files)
> > >
> > > (hope I didn't miss anything)
> >
> > I guess by <dist> you mean the codename, Right?

Right.

> > If so, I think it would be better to put them in other subdirectory,
> > to separate the "public" names from the "internal" ones.
> > Something like:

I thought of this, but I think once the names have been put into context
by being in the subdirectory "dists" then there should be no confusion for
users.  It's only when you find "bo" and "hamm" in the main directory that,
I suspect, causes the misconceptions.

> > dists/stable -> ../codenames/<dist>
> > dists/frozen -> ../codenames/<dist>
> > dists/unstable-> ../codenames/<dist>
> > codenames/<dist>/
> >       main/
> >       documents/
> >
> > Also, if we use the dists/* symlinks, do we still need the
> > {stable,unstable,frozen} symlinks in ftp/pub/debian/ ?
>
> I think you're right. But wouldn't it be better to drop the dists
> directory, then?

They wouldn't be needed, but I think they should be there anyway.  Just
by being there they point users into the places they want to be.  They
provide information that the user would otherwise have to find by more
difficult ways (such as deciphering "dists/").

The directory "dists" is intended not only to organize but to also provide
a context for users.  This should make the site much more navigatable to
those who are not intimately familiar with it.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )