Re: Compiling XFree 3.3-5.deb

Well, 3.3-6 will be out pretty soon.  Remember that I only uploaded
libraries for 3.3-5 -- that's because I didn't have all the details
worked out for other stuff.

I do normal builds (like 3.3-6) with dpkg-buildpackage.

>  or some such error message and then dies a couple of errors

<rant>I hope you realize how *totally meaningless* this comment is.
If you got an error message, you'll have to share it with us,
preferably *exactly* (cut & paste for example) to get any useful help.

In particular, I don't know of *any* reason "crt1.c" would be relevant
to an X build, though it would for a *compiler* build; "crt1.o" would
be a completely different issue [it would instead mean that your
compiler and/or libraries were mis-installed, but at least it would be
possible.]</rant>

> Advice please: even building on a PPro it takes an hour or two - having

Heh.  I do the release builds on a 486/40.  dpkg-buildpackage started
around midnight, and is still running :-) [though to be fair I snuck a
libc6 emacs build in there with it, but that's done and uploaded
already.]  If we had a source-dependency mechanism, I'd certainly want
to list a lot of things that the build needs - tcl-dev, tk-dev,
ncurses-dev, altgcc, libc5-altdev, libc6-dev... and more, but that's a
start.