Re: Debian libc5 to libc6 Mini-HOWTO

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Michael Neuffer wrote:

> >  The e2fsck program in e2fsprogs_1.10-4 has a bug in it which will
> >  cause it to destroy data on partitions above 2GB in size.  The version
> >  in e2fsprogs_1.10-5 has fixed this bug.  IMPORTANT: If you run the
> >  older libc6-based e2fsck on a 2 GB or greater partition, YOU WILL LOSE
> >  DATA.
>
> Even the 1.10-5 version seems to be vulnerable.
>
> This week it trashed twice about 8GB worth of filesystems.
> Luckily I had complete backups of my developent stuff.

That's odd.  The problem with the 1.10-4 version was that linking it
against libc6 broke its linking with llseek, used for 2G+ partitions.  The
1.10-5 version went back to libc5 as a temporary fix until something
better could be found.  Are you sure it was fsck's fault this time?

--
     Scott K. Ellis      |      Thinking is more interesting than knowing,
     storm@gate.net      |          but less interesting than looking.