Re: lambdamoo-core and lamdamoo-server virtual packages plus, moo user

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Manong Dibos wrote:
> >
> > When installing a new database, would it be appropriate to stash it in
> > /var/lambdamoo, or in /usr/lib/lambdamoo ?
>
> It's variable data, it cannot go in /usr (/usr might be mounted ro).
> According to the fsstnd, the proper place is /var/lib/something, I chose
> /var/lib/lambdamoo.

I disagree.  The "core" database should NOT change.  It should remain
untouched.  You merely use the core to "bootstrap" your own core.

So I guess /usr/lib/lambdamoo would be appropriate for the "starting"
cores.  However, /var/lib/lambdamoo is entirely appropriate for the actual
"operating" moo databases that you get after the first checkpoint of your
new moo.

> I don't really want to package up r4 right now. Maintaining one lambdamoo
> server is enough for me. I hope the two versions merge eventually, anyway.

K.  Maybe sometime later.  But the performance enhancements apparently
make it much faster, and no work is currently being done on the p series
of lambdamoo servers.

Cheers,

Manong Dibos