Re: Bug system severities

I wrote:
> Severity values I propose to have are:
> [ `critical', `grave', `normal' and `wishlist', as defined below ]

Having looked at some of the bugs on the bug list I think it might be
useful to have a `difficult' category:
 `difficult': this is a real problem which ought to be fixed; however,
 doing so would be a mini-project in itself requiring large amounts of
 programming effort or interface redesign, which would not be
 appropriate as part of normal package maintenance.  The bug is not
 expected to be fixed in the immediate future.

Eg, #988 (the pty allocation / utmp problem - though there are now
some ideas floating around about that), and the dpkg ought to log
everything and dselect UI rewrite bugs.

Bugs with `Severity: difficult' would not get nag messages; that would
avoid having to classify things as wishlist items just to stop the
nags when in fact they are bugs.

Ian.