Re: dpkg, dselect

On Sep 3, Peter Hanely wrote
> I am trying to install Debian as an upgrade to an existing system
> (slackware) and need the programs dpkg and dselect to bootstrap access to
> the packages.

Sounds like a question for debian-user rather than debian-devel. Check out
the mailing list archives; this has been done before.

> As I imagine others may be in a simular situation, I suggest that these
> files be provided as a transfer/bootstrap set along with any other files
> which may be needed for other Linux relieses to install Debian packages.

You can find .tar.gz archives of dpkg/dselect binaries as
project/experimental/dpkg*nondebbin.tar.gz on the FTP sites; I don't know
for sure what the other required files would be, but I think a decent
/bin/sh and perl will get you quite far.

Note though that there are easier ways to upgrade: boot from the debian boot
disk, mount your existing Linux partitions, exit to the shell, copy your
configuration files to a safe place and clean out everything but them and
the home directories, quit the shell and install the base.

POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.

debian-devel-request@lists.debian.org . Trouble?
e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .