Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

>>"Brandon" == Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> writes:

Brandon> If install-info have a different interface with the same
Brandon> name, we should change it.  However, an immediate change
Brandon> would probably upset some people. Instead, move debian's
Brandon> install-info to dinstall-info and make a script where
Brandon> /usr/sbin/install-info was:

	Why not move the gnu install-info into ginstall-info (like cc
 was moved to gcc)? Having two different programs with the same name
 in /usr/sbin and /usr/bin is an invitation to disaster. (I generally
 hack config.in to forget about install-infos GNU interface)

	Morever, this would not help the mass breakage of current
 packages, as no package should use the full path name of install-info
 (as per Debian policy). So, whether things break or not would depend
 on the PATH variable. This is a support nightmare.

	Try this sometime:
__> egrep install-info /var/lib/dpkg/info/* | wc -l
__> egrep /usr/sbin/install-info /var/lib/dpkg/info/* | wc -l

	I realize that we would like to solve the conflict, but
 simplistic solutions seem contraindicated.

 "In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to
 Liberty." Thomas Jefferson