upstream author asks not to do a package

I expressed interest in doing a package of a particular product
to the author, and he asked me not to do a package, but
noted that the license says I am free to anyway if I want to.
He specifically asked if I was associated with Debian
(it is mentioned in my .signature). I have not heard back
from him why yet, but I don't want to do a package against
his wishes, even if we can. Has anyone else ever had an
experience like this? Why would an author be against a package
of his software?

thanks,
Hamish

--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.