Re: mars_nwe licensing

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > However, for a Netware client to login to the server,
> > the server needs to have a copy of the standard Novell SYS:LOGIN
> > directory, which is obviously copyright Novell and
> > not packagable in any form. Can mars_nwe go into the main
> > distribution like this? Or even into debian at all?
>
> Assuming the server itself is free, then it can go in contrib.

I think it can go to main just as dosemu ...

> Actually, SYS:LOGIN is not necessary. It is only necessary if the server
> is going to be the main server on a network segment: if a client machine
> has already got the login files from another server it can then mount
> files and printers from a server without SYS:LOGIN.

I checked now... there is a mars_dosutils package beside the mars_nwe
distrib, here is a bit from the lsm entry
(ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/ncpfs/mars_dosutils-0.11.lsm)

Title:          mars_dosutils
Version:        0.11
Entered-date:   22-Jun-96

                for mars_nwe.
                Supports login, map, capture, passwd
                Binary + sourcen

So probably it should be packaged too, and mars_nwe could recommend it
One thing remains... I didnt check the copyright of this dosutils... I'm
on a slow line now, just downloaded the lsm... :)

> However, there is a problem here, which is that there doesn't seem to be a
> way to control what server a client machine will attempt to log into
> first (as I understand it, they do a broadcast, and log into the first to
> respond)

netx has a /ps switch if I remember correctly meaning preferred server...
vlm probably has something similar...

Greg