Re: Microsoft/Marimba/W3C Open Software Description (OSD)

> Well, it mostly looks like an HTML wrapping for software&dependancies
> that all package management system already implement, nothing much

Actually, it doesn't look that much like HTML -- the tags they use
actually *mean* something, making it a far cleaner SGML/XML
application than HTML will ever be...

I'd like to see someone from Debian (and probably from Redhat as well,
but after actually producing a handful of RPM's at work [we use it
under Solaris] it's amazing that the package build system works at
all, it's an amazing hack and has hardly any nailed-down structure)
send in comments, at least on the scope of the functionality, if not
also on the typos [ie. clearly they should have an open registry for
names, probably the IANA since I don't think the W3C actually does
that themselves... otherwise they'll end up with the HINFO mess all
over again...]

> Another funny one: the example URLs they give point to www.acme.com, but
Indeed:
   So far, ACME Laboratories is merely the business name for Jef
   Poskanzer doing software development and consulting. Perhaps someday
   it will be more.