Re: Mixing libc6 and old X

On Aug 5, David Engel wrote
> Many people are releasing packages built with libc6 and the X
> libraries from the xlib6 package.  I've warned people repeatedly that
> this is a bad idea.

I've filed maintainer-only bugreports for the packages installed on my
system that have mixed libraries binaries: afterstep, calctool, xemacs20,
xfishtank, xinvaders, and xlockmore.

On Aug 6, Nils Rennebarth wrote
> I have the current X libraries, and all of them are dynamically linked,
> except libX11:
>
> root@dino:~# ldd /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1
>         statically linked
>
> Is this a bug, a feature, reasons?
>
> Will that make X11 programs use (slightly) more memory?

I think so. But even worse, it will cause the linker not to warn when it is
asked to produce binaries that mix different libc versions. As such, I
consider it at least a strong mis-feature.

I've asked Brian White to update the text relating to this issue in his
"Upcoming Debian Releases" posting to
: 14 - Link shared libraries themselves against other shared libs, instead
:      of including their code statically. This has several advantages. It
:      allows the linker to warn about "mixed libc5/libc6 binaries", and,
:      more general, makes the dependencies of shared libraries themselves
:      more explicit; this should be used in generating the Depends: line of
:      a library package (e.g. through dpkg-shlibdeps). This could prevent
:      subtle bugs resulting from interactions between code (statically
:      included) from incompatible library versions. Also, it can reduce
:      memory use. -- jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl (J.H.M.Dassen)
:
:      See H.J. Lu's "ELF: From The Programmer's Perspective"
:      <URL:ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/elf.ps.gz> for
:      details.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks