Re: Boot disk images -- the only way?

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:

> Why do we still force people to use RAWRITE to create Debian boot
> floppies on DOSsy systems (DOS, WIN, '95, NT, OS/2)?  Since these disks
> are plain DOS disks (with a syslinux boot sector) we could distribute
> .ZIP files containing these disks, or even distribute the files
> uncompressed so people could simply copy them to a floppy and run
> SYSLINUX.EXE.

We've already got alternative installation methods.  There is an
intall.bat on the Official CD which runs the entire installation from the
CD on a DOS or Windows system (it should be run from DOS mode).  Also,
there is a method to do floppyless installation from a DOS partition
where one simply downloades the compressed base archive, loadlin.exe, and
a few more images such as the kernel and the drivers disk image.  1.3.x
has been the testing ground for these methods.  Given that they each work
well, we will be able to emphasize there use over the old 6-disk floppy
installation method.

Syrus.