Re: Debian on Solaris

In article <[🔎] xe1wwm5yxyi.fsf@maneki-neko.cygnus.com> you wrote:
: I thought a lot of the debian-solaris porting got done a *long* time
: back, when master.debian.org (or maybe just ftp.debian.org) was still
: a solaris box?  I suppose it has been a long time and that this must
: have bitrotted some.  What complexities did you run into with .19?
: I'd rather see them fixed; getting an old version working seems, well,
: pointless, though perhaps short-term expedient...

I needed to get something going with minimal support. And .19 does
internationalization, some gimmicks with autoconf it seems etc.
.8 did have some problems but I was able to fix them. Maybe we can apply
those patches to .19. At that point I will have build more packages
that dpkg can depend on when being build.

Bootstrapping a debian system is quite a problem since functionality
is missing everywhere. I installed a lot of software from the source
to get enough stuff together to make dpkg even build!

It would be good if dpkg selectively disable functionality instead of
simply failing to build! I still do not have dselect since it requires
g++ (which configure for some obscure reason fails to detect) and ncurses.

: I'd be quite willing to port .19 to everything in the office (well,
: maybe not AIX [*ewwww*] but maybe so) if people were actually likely
: to use it there and send in reports.  My local sysadmins have already
: jumped on rpm as the way to handle that, so I won't get much help from
: them, though...

I'd be glad if we could get something together like that.