Re: Installing non-interactively/improving interactive postint-scripts

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Martin Buck wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 01, 1997 at 01:10:06AM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
> I couldn't agree more. What I'd propose is a standard way for
> postinst-scripts to ask questions. If we wouldn't use simple shell-scripts
> with 'read' but something a bit more advanced (maybe like the
> kernel-configuration scripts), installation could be made much more
> user-friendly (for novice *and* advanced users).

I agree something like this is necessary.

I've made a simple attempt at this with the wn package I maintain.  I
took the kernel configuration scripts and modified them.  It can
analyze the current state of the package, or provide a standard state.

I'm not sure if the kernel scripts are the best way to go.  There are
other configuration projects going on in the Linux world such as
Figurine and the dot generator.

--
Jean Pierre