Re: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Jul 30, Marco Budde wrote:
> > Am 29.07.97 schrieb jim # jimpick.com ...
> >
> > Moin Jim!
> >
> > JP> My feeling is that the current structure of the "main" Debian
> > JP> project is very English-oriented -- so it probably isn't suitable

> > That's a reall problem in my opinion. In Germany there're a lot of
> > distributions like SuSE, Unifix or DLD that offers a installation
> > procedure in German language. And the most beginners really love this
> > distributions for this feature.

> I started with SuSE a year ago, switched over to debian, because it is
> more like linux is, same 'feeling'... However, SuSE was not bad, with
> a good installation tool. I et advertisement every few months from
> them, the last said, that they were considering .deb and .rpm. They
> switched to .rpm, although they knew that .deb is superior, because
> .rpm would be the common format in near future. Now they help Red Hat
> to improve the .rpm format...

One nice thing about RPM is that the packages can be installed
non-interactively.  (This isn't an implicit fault of the .deb format,
rather the packages that are available in the .deb format.)

> > JP> I'd like to see the "main" Debian project provide some more support
> > JP> for such "satellite" distributions.

> second. I will help for the german language. However, not only the
> description has to be internationalized. We need superior and flexibel
> language support. How can this be achieved? There is a lot to be done:

> * Keyboard config (see Consistent Keyboard Configuration on this list)
> * individual config changes for packages (perhaps ADMIN tool?)
> * something like the GNU language support for dpkg et al.?
> * perhaps we can patch other prog's (not GNU) to use GNU language
> support???

FYI, if your locale is set to 'de' the files in
   /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/app-defaults
will override the usual ones.  (So you can localize some X applications.)
It would be nice if someone could translate XTerm, etc. into various
languages...

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu