Re: We should help this guy...

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> 1. Splitting up into 100MB parcels shouldn't be done by directories. even
> for the minimal installation you need nearly all dirs, even X.
> One should split up in base, required, optional,...
> Base and required should go into the first peace and maybe something else.

Good point.  The packages should be grouped by `Priority' (required,
standard, important, optional, extra).  From my lsl debian-1.3 disk,
I figure the sizes of the packages in those groupings in debian-1.3
to be:
   required:     4793876
   standard:    25864324
   important:    5661090
   optional:   289046958
   extra:       12859036
               ---------
               338225284
Also,
   disks-i386:  22551K
          doc:   1529K
        tools:    610K
         boot:   3977K
      contrib:  13877K

So,
   disks-i386 + doc + tools + boot + required + standard =~ 60MB
   important =~ 60MB (or ~120MB for this + above)
   optional + extra + contrib =~ (3 * 100MB)

This looks like it might fit nicely, with minimum massaging, into
a one or two month series with the standard and important packages.
Adding the rest might spin it out over another three months at
~100MB per month.  Presented along with accompanying articles in
the magazine introducing unix, linux, and debian (unix/linux/debian
background info, debian-1.3, info on this special CD series, using
rawrite2, unpacking and using fips15, CD-boot install, floppy-install,
debian-install walkthrough, use and admin of debian-1.3), this should
go over well.