Re: libreadlineg2 install hosed my machine

"Dale Miller" <gdmiller@nortel.ca> writes:

[snip]

> After this I could not ftp to get libreadline2 andtry to install it.
> My machine is now hosed. I shutdown the machine and now cannot log in
> because it consistently says it can't find the utmp file. Is there any
> way I can recover from this??

Use the rescue disk to symlink /bin/sh to a working shell, like pdksh,
zsh or ash, copied off the ramdisk if necessary.  Change root's shell
as well.  Some things will break when you boot with this but it should
get you to single user mode.  To boot to single user, use something
like:

    LILO: Linux single

If you're lucky none of the boot scripts will be extremely
bash-dependent.  I haven't checked recently since I tried to use zsh
as /bin/sh without noticing that it was on a different partition...

I'm not sure where the utmp will have gone.  Try `touch
/target/var/run/utmp' from the rescue if it still complains.

You will now have to install or just extract one of the libreadlines,
and run ldconfig, with a system which may not be working properly.

> For more information I did the following to remove libreadline2.
> dpkg --remove --force-depends. This is probably very stupid and it
> was late when I did it.

No comment.

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"these are not inherent flaws in [NT] -- they don't happen by accident.
 They are the result of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts." - MS