Re: Time to remove rex?

On 29 Jul 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Then I suggest you upgrade a little at a time so you can identify
> which package has the problem.  Though I suspect the problem is simply
> that you need some new parameter in the configuration file for pppd,
> and not that the package is itself buggy.  (I use pppd from 1.3 every
> day.)

I dunno.  You see, the wierd thing is, I upgrade, all runs fine, I connect
and disconnect a few times, no problemo.  Then I reboot, and bammo, no
workie, I have to reinstall 1.2.  Also, when I upgrade to 1.3, a LOT of
files change, and most of 'em depend on each other.  There are just so
*many* files.  :-/

And I know this isnt a configuration problem, because nothing has changed
in regard to configuration.  My home system, a 486dx2/80 is currently
hamm, but was also upgraded from 1.2.  Nothing ever broke.  It may be my
old hardware... But Im not getting any errors.

The only problem is, after I upgrade, chat will not get any response from
the modem.  And as far as pppd not attaching the protocol to the serial
port after I have dialed in by hand, I do not know.  I dont know where to
get diagnostics for that.  Next time Im there I guess I should paste some
of the ppp.log and send it to you.

But right now I have a working setup and dont want to break it :-/
Remember, it takes 10 hours for me to install, minimum 1 and 1/2 for the
base system that comes on the floppies.  This computer is ancient, memory
challenged, and slow.

> Ugh.  Surely you can save the packages for chat and pppd and downgrade
> them instead of copying binaries around.

I only have a 60 meg harddrive.  I cannot even complete an upgrade without
periodically having dselect install what its downloaded, then delete the
.deb's

Cheers.

Don Dibos