Re: non-debian kernels -- bizzar?

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> At the moment, the debian kernel packages assume that everyone
> has the debian kernel-image installed.
>
> I've always viewed those debian kernels as something only usefull
> to for the first day of running Debian, be able to build your own
> kernel, and then get rid of any debian kernels, and debian kernel
> packages.

Hmm, I was the other way round. My first day of running debian I used my
old kernel that I'd compiled myself; once I'd got debian running safely I
downloaded kernel-package and installed a debian kernel package (that I
had built myself).

I can see that a kernel hacker who installs several new kernels every day
while testing might find it inconvenient to use kernel-package, but for
most ordinary users it really isn't much extra work, and has the advantage
that dpkg knows about all the files.

> Does anyone else think it should be possible to remove the current
> running kernel, if you answer "yes" to an explicit question that
> informs you about the possible dangers?

Having said that, yes, I think it should. After all, we don't stop people
doing far worse things to their systems if they really want to.