Re: non-debian kernels -- bizzar?

> Feature request: when you install a kernel, /vmlinuz is changed
> to /vmlinuz.old, and the new kernel -> /vmlinuz.

This feature is already present (sort of)

What currently happens (in my experience) is that /vmlinuz points at the
kernel you just installed, and /vmlinuz.old points at the latest kernel of a
different version.  So on this machine:

$ ls -l /vmlinuz*

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  19 May  1 11:06 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.30
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  19 Apr 26 20:18 /vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.28

If I install a different 2.0.30 kernel, then vmlinuz.old will not be touched,
but if I install a 2.0.31 one, vmlinuz.old will point to the 2.0.30 version.
This is actually safer than the ``current becomes old'' approach, since you
cannot hose your system by installing a broken kernel twice between reboots.

If you want to go back to a previous compilation of the same version kernel,
then you just install the old .deb (assuming you are using kernel-package),
after perhaps booting using vmlinuz.old if necessary.

Cheers, Phil.