Re: Link to Japanese Debian?

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>  - I noticed that the Debian-JP distribution has i18n'd versions
>    of dpkg and other utilities.  How can we minimize the work
>    involved in keeping the translations and the software
>    up-to-date and in-sync?  I noticed that the "main" version
>    of the dpkg package has translations for English and French
>    in it -- but the Japanese i18n stuff isn't there.

What a happy coincidence!  I just stumbled over the Japanese page a
couple of weeks ago, and was amazed by how much they had done without
me knowing about it:

dpkg (1.4.0.20) unstable; urgency=low

  * Internationalization support for dselect, mostly contributed by
    A. Yoshiyama <yosshy@jedi.seg.kobe-u.ac.jp>.
  * Japanese translation strings for dselect contributed by
    A. Yoshiyama <yosshy@jedi.seg.kobe-u.ac.jp>.
  * Cleaned up lots of internationalization strings.

 -- Klee Dienes <klee@debian.org>  Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:41:28 -0700

Personally, I'm of the opinion that we should work very hard to unify
the two package sets and maintain a single common set of multi-lingual
sources and binaries.  Yes, the language barrier will be a challenge,
but the alternative is a lot of wasted effort that would be much
better spent writing new free software and improving our distribution.