Re: [Q] How do I get rid of 'no utmp entry available'

Joey Hess <joey@kite.ml.org> writes:
> Bruce Perens wrote:
> > do a "who" and see if you are listed as logged in to the window's
> > pseudo-tty. If you are not, you will always get this complaint.
> > I think it could be quieter.
>
> I am listed in 'who', yet I still get the complaint.

So far as I know, all possible circumstances in which dpkg-* can print
this message are situations which would previously have led to the
'chown new files list file' bug, so at least this is an improvement.
:-).

I agree that the message isn't strictly necessary; I put it in because
as a matter of principle I dislike heuristics that fail silently or
fall back on less reliable data without warning.  I'll look into
quieting down the message a bit, at least for the case of non-root
builds even without a utmp entry.

For the moment, would anyone who believes they are getting this
message erroneously send me the output of the following two commands,
both run in the same context that caused the dpkg-* script to give the
error message?:

'who'
perl -e 'use POSIX; print defined (&POSIX::getlogin()), " ", &POSIX::getlogin();'

Thanks,
 - Klee