Re: Bug Reporting system

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> > > Many users have difficulty determining which package is responsible for
> > > a problem.  How are they going to determine if a bug is architecture-specific?
> >
> > That's a good argument for adding the `Architecture:' field to
> > bug reports.  Users may not be able to determine that the bug
> > is architecture-specific, but they can report that the bug was
> > observed on a sparc (or whatever).
>
> Why not just use /usr/bin/bug? That script is really good:

I used it for the first time yesterday, and liked it.  Due to a
slightly wierd setup here, however, the submitted bug had an
unworkable email address for me.  My manually submitted bug
reports (using the pine MDA) have a workable address.

> So, you're asking for the addition of something we essentially already
> have.

Not quite.  As I said in my final sentence:

+  For it to be effective, it would have to be a required field.

So, I'm chiming in in favor of an Architecture field so that bug
reports will carry the information about the architecture where
they were seen.  I'm also adding my opinion that it wouldn't be
effective unless the field was a required field in bug reports.