Re: Should packages depend on cron?

What if we merged the relevant functionality into cron?

The idea would be that there would be an additional field (or kind of
entry) in the crontab that would indicate if a particular task should
be run later if cron notices that it was was missed.

You could even take this further to satisfy the other concerns
mentioned.  There could be optional fields indicating if the missed
jobs should be run multiple times if missed multiple times, and
field(s) indicating how missed runs of a given task should be
staggered (both with respect to other runs of that task, and with
respect to other tasks).  Cron might also eventually have a field
indicating that it needs to do load based deferment for a particular
job.

This is most likely too complicated, and probably a bad idea, but I
thought I'd mention it since all this seems to fall within cron's
domain.
--
Rob