Re: source dependencies : virtual names

Hi,
>>"Andreas" == Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

Andreas> On Jul 23, Manoj Srivastava wrote
Manoj> How do you tell if a package depends on libc5 or libc6 or
Manoj> libc7? You use only virtual names, you loose the ability to
Manoj> work with binaty incompatible releases of libraries. This is a
Manoj> bad idea.

Andreas> if a package depends on one version number, and it is known,
Andreas> that it will not work with a different version, then it
Andreas> should depend on the versioned name. but in most cases, a
Andreas> program needs any version of a package, and in this
Andreas> situations the developer should use the names without
Andreas> version.

	Usually, one only changes the library *name* (from libc5 to
 libc6, for example) when the change is going to be binary
 incompatible. Or else one just bumps the version number from 2.0.4 to
 2.1.0, say.

	I think in the vast majority of cases, if the *name* of the
 library package includes a vresion number, then packages compiled
 with that will not be compatible with another *name*.

	Please correct me if I'm wrong (with examples, please).

	In fact, I think that it is not worth making this policy
 decision for the few packages that are the exceptions to the above
 rule, it just add to the confusion.

	manoj

--
 "I've seen many politicians paralyzed in the legs as myself, but I've
 seen more of them who were paralyzed in the head" George Wallace