Re: source dependencies : virtual names

Hi,

Andreas> what about only using virtual names for al libraries :
Andreas> name used	package
Andreas> libc-dev	libc6-dev
Andreas> ncurses-dev	ncurses3.4-dev
Andreas> libtiff-dev	libtiff3-dev
Andreas> ...

Andreas> it's not a hard thing to manage such a list, but we gain flexibility
Andreas> with handling of new versions.

	How do you tell if a package depends on libc5 or libc6 or
 libc7? You use only virtual names, you loose the ability to work with
 binaty incompatible releases of libraries. This is a bad idea.

	manoj

--
 "...I think that when statesmen forsake their private conscience for
 the sake of their public duties, they lead their country by a short